Work with us to create change.
We are currently hiring for these positions:
ACADEMIC TUTOR/MENTOR--SAN JOSE
Refugee Transitions is partnering with Catholic Charities Santa Clara to support their Refugee Foster Program. RT is seeking qualified and committed individuals to provide one-on-one tutoring/mentoring for unaccompanied refugee minors.
Position Title: Academic Tutor/Mentor
Location: In-home Tutoring based in San Jose, CA
Compensation: $17-$24/hour depending on qualifications and experience.
Time Commitment: 15-20 hours per week
Program/Employment Dates: Must be able to make a 9 month/academic year commitment
1) Tutoring and Enrichment
- Tutor youth in all subjects (some will need remedial support);
- Help youth increase their understanding of the U.S. school system;
- Help youth develop confidence and feel part of their new community;
- Promote language development, goal-setting, college access, career-readiness, and cultural adjustment.
- Communicate with Refugee Transitions staff and the Educational Coordinator at Catholic Charities to gain a better understanding of each youth’s academic needs (and communicate with teachers as needed);
- Submit monthly logs of tutoring hours of progress to Refugee Transitions (online);
- Submit monthly invoices to Refugee Transitions.
- Experience building strong mentor/tutor relationships with middle school/high school age male students;
- Strong desire to help unaccompanied refugee minors succeed academically and develop confidence;
- Patience and sensitivity for the mental health needs of refugee/immigrant youth;
- Ability to teach English to speakers of other languages;
- Ability to tutor non-native English speakers on multiple academic subjects;
- Familiarity with California K-12 standards, standardized testing, high school graduation requirements, etc.;
- Bachelor’s degree and single subject credential (or some coursework) and/or experience teaching English language learners;
- Ability to connect with newcomer youth;
- Flexibility and ability to work well independently and with minimal supervision;
- Strong writing and communication skills in English; and
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- Coming from a refugee or immigrant family;
- Fluency in Kiswahili, Nepali, Burmese, and/or Spanish;
- Familiarity with small nonprofits;
- Familiarity with local school districts (San Francisco Unified School District, Santa Clara, Oakland Unified School District, San Jose Unified School District, etc.);
- Excellent administrative and organization skills;
- Experience working with literacy-level students.
Special Requirements: Must be able to travel to multiple locations each week. Assignment locations may include one or more of the following zip codes: 95111, 95050, 95112, 95126, 95123, and 94087. Must be able to accept a weekend and/or evening assignment (until 7:30 pm).
Application Procedure: Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include Academic Tutor/Mentor: San Jose, CA in the subject line.