Thank you for your interest in working with RT. We currently have the following position open:
ADULT VOCATIONAL ENGLISH LANGUAGE INSTRUCTOR--SAN JOSE
Refugee Transitions is hiring an instructor to provide Vocational English Language instruction at the San Jose site of our partner, Pars Equality Center.
- Conduct one Vocational English Language class (serving adults who score in the high beginner and low intermediate reading levels according to CASAS);
- Lead informational workshop on continuing education opportunities (adult school, community college, certification programs) for advanced level students;
- Work with Refugee Transitions staff to supplement the agency’s curriculum and conduct pre- and post- language assessments (using CASAS);
- Maintain attendance sheets;
- Submit ongoing progress reports;
- Incorporate Computer Literacy into weekly lesson planning;
- Help students develop the skills needed to search and apply for jobs online;
- Uphold RT’s systems of student enrollment and intake (RT/Pars pathways model);
- Maintain the integrity of RT’s curriculum.
Compensation: Depending on experience.
Class Teaching Schedule:
- Vocational ESL: Mondays & Wednesdays, 6:00-8:30PM
- Informational workshops: 1-2 evenings per month (days/times to be determined)
- Classes begin February 13, 2017 and end May 25, 2017
- Completion or near completion of MA TESOL or TESOL certificate;
- At least one year of formal classroom experience teaching beginning and/or intermediate level English in the U.S.;
- At least one year of formal classroom experience teaching business English, business writing, professional email correspondence in the U.S.;
- Familiarity with programs and requirements at local adult schools and community colleges, including various certifications;
- Experience working with English language learners with diverse backgrounds;
- Experience creating lesson plans;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English;
- Strong understanding of confidentiality and professional boundaries;
- Ability to navigate the job market (mid and high level employment options) for highly educated students; ·
- Experience working with Iranian and/or Middle Eastern populations;
- Familiarity with College and Career Readiness Standards (CCRS) and/or Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA);
- Ability to research curriculum options based on the needs of adult students who are on an employment track;
- Ability to tailor 50% of lesson plans to promote employability and success with interviewing skills, targeting specific job skills;
- Ability to design and produce teaching aids/activities to incorporate into curriculum;
- Experience in analyzing local workforce trends and community workforce needs in order to inform curriculum development;
- Knowledge and experience in applying new and emerging technologies to facilitate and advance student learning.
To apply for this independent contractor position, please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com and put in the subject line: Adult Vocational English Language Instructor-San Jos.