Work with us to create change.
We currently have the following positions open:
ADULT ENGLISH LANGUAGE INSTRUCTOR--SAN FRANCISCO
RT is hiring an instructor to provide English language instruction in San Francisco’s Mission District.
Position Title: Adult English Language Instructor--San Francisco
Time Commitment: Monday-Thursday 9:00 - 11:00 am plus 4 hours prep time
Location: School and community sites in the Mission (2 days at each site)
Starting Date: September 2015
Reports to: Dion Zizak, English Language Instructor & Education Manager
Compensation: $22-$28/hour, depending on experience. Approximately 12 hours/week including preparation time (+ additional hours for meetings as needed)
- Conduct two English language classes (beginning and intermediate) for adults;
- Work with RT staff to supplement the agency’s curriculum and conduct pre-and post- language assessments (using CASAS);
- Maintain attendance sheets;
- Submit ongoing progress reports;
- Uphold RT’s systems of student enrollment and intake;
- Maintain the integrity of RT’s curriculum.
- Bilingual or Fluent Spanish/English;
- Bachelor’s Degree;
- Completion or near completion of MA TESOL or TESOL certificate;
- Training and at least one year of formal classroom experience teaching literacy/beginning level English in the U.S. or 2 years of formal classroom experience teaching literacy/beginning level English in the U.S. with TESOL certificate;
- Experience working with the Latino immigrant population;
- Experience creating lesson plans;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English;
- Strong understanding of confidentiality and professional boundaries.
Physical Abilities: Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person and on the telephone; seeing to read, prepare, and proofread documents; sitting or standing for extended periods of time; dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard and other office equipment; kneeling, bending of the waist, and reaching overhead, above the shoulders, and horizontally to retrieve and store files and supplies.
Application procedure: Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com (subject line: Adult English Language Instructor--San Francisco).
BILINGUAL ACADEMIC TUTORS (SPANISH, KOREAN, TIGRINYA, NEPALI)--SOUTH BAY
RT is partnering with Catholic Charities Santa Clara to support their Refugee Foster Program. RT is seeking qualified and committed individuals to provide one-on-one tutoring to unaccompanied refugee minors.
Position: Academic Tutor
Time Commitment: 5-10 hours/week
Salary: $18-$26/hour depending on qualifications and experience
Location: In-home tutoring based in the South Bay
Program/Employment Dates: Must be able to make a commitment through the 2015-2016 school year
1. Tutoring and Enrichment
- Tutor youth in all subjects (some will need remedial support);
- Help youth increase their understanding of the U.S. school system;
- Help youth develop confidence and feel a part of their new community;
- Promote language development, goal-setting, college access, career readiness, and cultural adjustment.
- Communicate with RT staff and the Educational Coordinator at Catholic Charities to gain a better understanding of each youth’s academic needs (and communicate with teachers as needed);
- Submit monthly logs of tutoring hours of progress to RT (online);
- Submit monthly invoices to RT.
- Bilingual in Korean, Tigrinya, Nepali, and/or Spanish;
- Experience building strong tutor relationships with middle school/high school aged students;
- Strong desire to help unaccompanied refugee minors succeed academically and develop confidence;
- Patience and sensitivity for the mental health needs of refugee/immigrant youth;
- Ability to teach English to speakers of other languages;
- Ability to tutor non-native English speakers on multiple academic subjects;
- Familiarity with California K-12 standards, standardized testing, high school graduation requirements, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree (or near completion) and experience tutoring English language learners;
- Ability to connect with newcomer youth;
- Flexibility and ability to work well independently and with minimal supervision;
- Strong writing and communication skills in English; and
- Experience working with diverse populations.
Other Preferred Qualifications:
- From a refugee or immigrant family;
- Single subject credential (or some coursework);
- Familiarity with small nonprofits;
- Familiarity with local school districts (San Francisco Unified School District, Santa Clara, Oakland Unified School District, San Jose Unified School District, etc.)
- Excellent administrative and organization skills;
- Experience working with literacy level students.
Special Requirements: Must be able to accept weekend and/or evening assignments (until 7:30pm).
Application: Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Academic Tutor in the subject line.
GRAPHIC DESIGN INTERN: SAN FRANCISCO, FALL 2015
RT is seeking a Graphic Design Intern for Fall 2015 to work on our visual communication materials. The intern will gain hands-on experience designing and editing a variety of materials (including books, brochures, and infographics) within the framework of the agency's vision and branding. If you would like to build your portfolio with challenging design projects, learn to collaborate closely with a client, and engage your skills and creativity while building off of the client's values and branding system, all while making a real-world impact, this opportunity is for you! The internship is unpaid but offers college credit.
- Organizing a set of photographs and stories into a book;
- Preparing books for print;
- Developing engaging infographics based on the agency's mission, vision, and programs;
- Designing donor pledge forms for the agency's fundraiser and year-end donor appeal;
- Creating or editing other materials for the agency's fundraiser, including invitations and poster.
- Currently pursuing a graphic design degree;
- Demonstrated reliability and ability to follow through with projects;
- Flexibility and ability to work well with minimal supervision;
- Experience designing and editing printed materials such as books and/or brochures;
- Experience creating infographics;
- Proficiency with Adobe Photoshop;
- Proficiency with InDesign;
- Familiarity with MS Office, especially MS Word/Avery templates;
- Exceptional research skills;
- Interest in branding systems and the application of the client's values/philosophy into design;
- Interest in social issues, especially refugee and immigrant issues.
You will work in RT's main office in downtown San Francisco, 870 Market St. #718. Telecommuting is allowed. You will need to be available for weekly in-person or online meetings with your supervisor, RT's Development and Impact Coordinator.
Please send a short cover letter, resume, and graphic design example to email@example.com.