Refugee Transitions (RT; www.reftrans.org) is a nonprofit agency that provides education, family engagement, and community leadership programs to low-income newcomers who have sought refuge in the U.S. Refugee Transitions is currently seeking a Early Childhood Development Assistant/Intern to work in our Women’s Initiative Program. This person will assist the Early Childhood Development Co-Coordinators in caring for and engaging toddlers/preschool-age children while their moms participate in our women-only English language and literacy classes.
Position: Early Childhood Development Assistant/Intern
Time Commitment: 15 hours/week. 8:45 am – 1:45 pm, Monday/Wednesday/Friday
Compensation: $15-$16 per hour (depending on education and experience in the field of early childhood development) for this hourly non-exempt position. Benefits include paid sick time.
Program/Employment Dates: August 27, 2018 - May 30, 2019 following the Oakland Unified School District Calendar.
Location: Harbor House, 3103/1811 11th Ave, Oakland
Your primary responsibilities will be to:
- Develop skills to become an early childhood development provider;
- Assist Early Childhood Development Co-Coordinators in providing care for children in the childcare room (including helping moms sign in/out their children and fill out forms);
- Attend trainings as needed to be effective in your role as childcare provider;
- Contact students outside of class as needed and directed by teacher;
- Help the instructor/childcare providers with cleaning/organizing as needed;
- Work collaboratively and maintain positive relationships with moms, children, and program team members;
- Help to provide a clean, safe and nurturing environment for children;
- Nurture the English language development of children, all of whom are native speakers of other languages;
- Aim to meet each child’s individual needs;
- Respect the backgrounds and cultures of our families, who come from all over the world; and
- Respect confidentiality of information that you may learn about students and their families.
- Desire to learn safety rules for childcare programs;
- Work with childcare professionals to ensure the safety and care of toddlers in the childcare program;
- Report any safety concerns to the Program Manager and Co-Coordinators;
- Submit online time sheets (2 times per month);
- Maintain professional relationship with site partners; and
- Represent RT in a professional manner.
- Strong interest in working in the field of early childhood development and gaining hands-on experience;
- High proficiency in English (reading, writing, listening, and speaking);
- Minimum 1 year experience working with children ages 2-5;
- Flexible, self-starter, positive attitude, team player;
- Excellent rapport/communicator with children and families;
- Experience working effectively with people of diverse backgrounds, languages, and family structures;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Strong boundaries and ability to maintain the confidentiality of information that you may learn about students and their families; and
- Excellent references.
- From a refugee or immigrant family;
- Fluency in Arabic, Dari/Pashto, Tigrinya or other language; and
- Some training and/or schooling in Early Childhood Education/Child Development
Physical Abilities: Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person; seeing to read to children; sitting or standing for extended periods of time; dexterity of hands and fingers to work with manipulatives and materials; kneeling, bending of the waist, and reaching overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally to retrieve supplies, being able to lift 40 lbs (the weight of the average preschool child).
Special Requirements: Must be able to accept some late afternoon assignments and be able to work Monday-Friday from 8:45-1:45 pm (following the Oakland Unified School District calendar).
Application procedure: Send your resume and cover letter (or short introduction email) to firstname.lastname@example.org with Early Childhood Development Assistant/Intern - Oakland in subject line.