Announcement: Please Read
As of 01/30/2017, Refugee Transitions has received a record number of volunteers to participate in our home-based and after-school programs. We are tremendously grateful to all who have applied to volunteer with us and make an impact in our shared communities! We have held many volunteer orientations and trainings recently, and we will hold off onboarding new volunteers for the next several months.
If you are interested in making an immediate impact, please consider a donation to Refugee Transitions. Our staff is working at maximum capacity to onboard volunteers right now, and your support would help us increase staff capacity to train more volunteers and serve more students. In addition, we are involving youth and adult community leaders in our programs. Because of the substantial impact these leaders make as interpreters, cultural ambassadors, and peer tutors, they receive much-deserved stipends and gain skills that benefit not only themselves, but also their families and communities. You can take action to support newcomer families today--click the button below to donate!
It goes without saying that we're mobilizing fast and working around the clock to assemble critical information to inform and help RT families. We're getting enormous support from volunteers, community leaders, and RT friends to help us do this. Thank you for joining us!
RT Volunteer Programs
We are committed to providing a transformative, cross-cultural experience for students and volunteers alike. We will support you with trainings, curriculum, resources, and more. Join us and change someone’s world. Your world might change, too.
What you need to know:
• RT volunteering is long-term: minimum of 6 months or a school semester. We occasionally have short-term or one-off needs; to see them, please scroll down this page.
• All volunteers must be 18+.
• No experience or knowledge of other languages necessary.
• Only able to volunteer evenings and weekends? Home-based tutoring is your best option.
• How to apply: please click on the images below to read about our volunteer programs, and submit a volunteer application.
(If you are on mobile, please click the forward button below to see more programs).
Short-Term Volunteer Opportunities
Oakland International High School
We occasionally have short-term or one-off needs with which volunteers can be of help (work days, garden support, testing help, registration volunteers, etc). To get involved, OIHS asks prospective volunteers to complete this short volunteer interest form. A team member will follow up after!
Who is the ideal RT Volunteer?
- Shares our commitment to seeing newcomers thrive.
- Is patient, flexible, culturally sensitive, and dedicated to our community.
- Has an interest in tutoring.
- Wants to learn about those we serve.
- Would like to improve their teaching, advocacy, and mentorship skills.
Why volunteer with RT?
- Make an immediate and direct impact on other people's lives.
- Be the change - our program puts you in the driver's seat.
- Develop your skillset, including your ability to teach English!
- Receive trainings, curriculum, resources, and professional support from our team of dedicated staff.
- Gain a unique cross-cultural experience and explore a new language!
- Expand your personal and professional network through happy hours and other RT volunteer events.
- You can volunteer in a way that fits your schedule: home-based volunteers are free to set their schedule with their student.
- Go on a paid field trip!
- It's rewarding, needed, and fun!
Contact us today!